It’s been in the 40’s for the past two nights. I haven’t turned on the heat, because it’s going to warm back
up, starting today. I use the space heater in the bathroom and sleep under two comforters and a blanket.
In general, I’m a hot-weather fan. Maybe it’s because I’ve lived most of my life in the South. Give me a choice between 10 degrees of heat index and 10 degrees of wind chill, and I’ll take the heat index every time.
But there are definitely things to like about cool weather. Here are my top ten.
1. Flannel sheets. Soooo cozy.
2. Flannel pajamas. Same reason.
3. Lower electric bills. Our cold weather never comes and stays; it’ll be cold for a couple of days then warm back up. The heat doesn’t run as much in the winter as the a/c does in the summer.
4. Turtlenecks, sweaters, and heavy jackets. My wardrobe is greatly expanded in cool weather.
5. The outdoor temperature matches the indoor temperature in my always-freezing office, so I’m always appropriately dressed.
6. Much less sweating. I can get dressed and walk out the door without breaking a sweat.
7. Less mowing. Our grass stays green all winter, but it doesn’t grow as fast. I can get away with mowing about every 3 to 4 weeks, instead of every 1 to 2 weeks.
8. More other yard work. Because I’m not at risk of heat stroke from being outside for a couple of hours, I can get a lot more done in the yard because I can work longer on any particular day.
9. Fewer bad hair days. I belong to the humid-frizzies crowd. Lower humidity in cool weather means less frizz.
10. Hot chocolate!