Thanksgiving is one of my two favorite holidays, Easter being the other. I love Thanksgiving because it’s a low stress day (unless you have to cook for in-laws, I guess, but I don’t have any of those). I’m going to a friend’s house, and taking my famous sweet potato casserole. Mmmmmm. We’re not eating until 5:00, so I’ll have plenty of time to bake that, and to get other things done at home.
I also love Thanksgiving because it’s not a commercial holiday in and of itself. Of course Black Friday occurs the day after Thanksgiving, but that’s about Christmas, not Thanksgiving. There aren’t any gift obligations; all you have to do is eat too much and watch football (if you’re so inclined).
I have so many things to be thankful for. It’s good to have a day just to stop and consider all of those. I couldn’t possibly list them all, but here are some of them:
- My job. I love my job. I love almost everything about it. I have a great boss and great coworkers. I get paid well for what I do and I’m not in danger of being laid off. I even have a short commute.
- My health, which is relatively good.
- Ralph’s health, which is also relatively good, even at the ripe old age of 12 (which is ancient for a Labrador retriever).
- My family, weird though they might be – compared to a lot of other people’s families, I have it pretty good.
- Living in Florida in the winter. After retirement I think I can face cold weather again, but while I still have to get up and get dressed and get out of the house every day, I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with snow, ice, sleet, frost, frozen water pipes, etc.
- Living at the beach. This town has its problems, but it’s still a pretty good place to live.
- My fixed-rate, 15 year mortgage, which I can afford easily, and which will be paid off in 12 years.
- My little house. It needs work, but it’s a sturdy little concrete block structure that has stood here unscathed by storms since 1948. And it’s easy to clean.
- My friends. I have several close friends here that I couldn’t do without, plus my college roommate, who lives far away but is still one of my closest friends. We talk by email every week.
I could go on and on, but I won’t. What are you thankful for?